Monday 5 November 2012

AS PURE AS LOVE OF A FAMILY

"Sorry, your blood type is incompatible"
"What, doc?! Doesn’t match?"
The chiming clock seemed to stop. The sky falls over. The earth was flat. Just leave me alone who powerless to face the reality. My chest crammed with a thousand questions.
***
In the morning,  I have arrived at the office enthusiastically. This afternoon I was scheduled to attend a meeting with one of the foreign investors who will invest in my company. My father was the one who raised the company hard-earned to become one of the properties company which calculated on a national scale. And now, I was became CEO replace him after he retired because of age factor. I'm so grateful to be born in the wealthy family. But I do not want to fall asleep with all that, I have to keep hard working so that the company can still survive, because the current competition in the business world that is increasingly intense.
My phone is ringing.
"Your mother is hospitalized. Go home quickly"
Brief. But upset me. So the meeting with a client who had just started, I cancel by family reasons.
Immediately I go to the car with a bit hurry. I drive a little rush on the streets of the city that is not too crowded. My aim is one. Come to the hospital immediately and knew my mother’s condition.
Half hour later I arrived at the hospital. Soon I meet my father who was waiting in front of the ICU.
"Be patient, my son. Just pray. Hopefully your mom can get through it all safely”, dad calm me down.
"How's mom now?”, I asked.
"She suffered serious bleeding in the head. Now doctors are still running the operation".
Dad told me that my mother had an accident while she went to the market. When crossing the street, there was a motorcycle crashed into my mother. She was thrown several feet into the side of the road. Her head hit the pavement. However, the motorcycle which hit her running somewhere.
I get stuck, exactly regret. This morning, before I go to office, my mother asked me to accompany her to the market.
"My son, before you go to office, please take me to the market", she said. Unusually, my mother asked me to take her to the market. Mom would rather go by public transportation. But this time, she wants me to take her.
"I'm sorry ma'am. I can’t. This morning there is a meeting in the office. You can go by taxi”, I replied.
Immediately I rushed to the office. I don’t forget to kiss my mother's hand when saying goodbye. My mother was silent. I wonder what her feelings at that time.
Ssrrrttt. Operating room door opened, interrupting my reverie. A doctor go out with shabbily face.
"How's my mom, doc?" asked me worriedly. My father immediately get up from his seat.
"Your mother was bleeding quite badly. She needs blood immediately. But your mother's blood belongs to a rare type. This hospital does not keep blood stocks that match with your mother's blood. If in 24 hours your mother did not undergo blood transfusion, she is at risk of amnesia", explained the doctor.
"Just take my blood, doc”
"Don’t, my son. We wait for your sister who will be here soon", my father, who had been silent, now stop me.
I was a little surprised. At the urgent as it is now, why dad calm. It seems the father was hiding something from me.
"But mom at need it now, dad", I said distinctly. My father is silent.
"If there are no more problems, please do transfusions. Immediately contact the Blood Bank", said the doctor give the order.
***
Many times in this day I get stuck. I look closely a letter that I get from the hospital. There's a lot of impossibility that I don’t understand. It’s impossible that my blood incompatible with my mother's blood. It’s impossible that I misread the results of these blood tests. It’s impossible that the hospitals wrong do blood tests. And what impossibility else which I must understand after this.
I leave the room with heavy steps. I see my father has been with Silvia. My sister had turned up when I was at the doctor earlier. Dad look at me. Maybe he can guess my misunderstand of what had happened.
"Let your sister donate her blood for your mother," the father calm.
"Yes, brother, let me donate blood for our mother," my sister said. Maybe my father had told her before. She immediately go to transfuse blood bank.
"Who am I, Dad?" I urge my father to tell the truth.
Dad take a deep breath. He try to choose the right words to say. "Maybe after all this time keep it a secret, now is the time for you to know what you are. 27 years ago, your family had an accident. Your whole family died. Only you are survived. Your family is our neighbor. Because of no one will care for you, we intend to adopt you as our son. At that time we don’t have children. After 2 years, then your sister was born ".
My chest is tight, my tears come out by itself with the flow of our family memories. Although it is all about a beautiful memory, but still makes me sad. My body is like in the dark and cold, in my chest there is underground cave which is so large and dark.
***
I stand in front of our house. I open the door lazily. I look every part of the house that be a silent prove of the journey of my life. My eyes stopped at the big picture in the middle of the living room. The photo was taken just as the Lebaran Idul Fitri two years ago. I look at every face of 4 people in the photo. Recently I realize there is one person who does not have any resemblance with 3 other people. And that person is me.
I lay down on the sofa. Slowly I breathe the air in the afternoon which is not too friendly to me. I just close my eyes. A glimpse of a shadow flashed moments of our time together as a family. The image make me little calm. I have to convey to them my decision even hard for me to do.
***
Silvia come over to my father.
"What happen, daughter," asked my father.
"Everything is well, Dad. My blood is matched with the mother's blood", said Silvia.
After a silence so long, Silvia asked back to my father. "Where is Ferdy, Dad"
"I do not know. He immediately go out after I told everything to him"
"Let him calm down first. But what if he wants to go away from this family?"
"I also think so, too. Your brother was adult. I'm sure he can take the right decision. Although in the end he chose to leave us all. I understand his feelings now. Actually I never differentiate both of you. "
All was silent. Busy with each mind.
***
The hallways of the hospital room is getting quiet. Night is getting late. In corner of the building, in groups of patients attendants spread a mat to sleep. Some of them are still chat. Most of the others have slept because of tired.
Treatment room was located at the south end of the hospital. Above the door written ''ICU", not all attendants may enter the room. On the bed, a middle-aged woman lying limp. She uses an oxygen tube, breathing fluctuates irregularly. Beside her, two men sitting faithfully.
Soon I open the door, and I come near to the woman. I hug her. I kiss her hand longer and don’t loose it. Once again in one day my tears flow.
"I'm sorry, ma'am."
"Thanks to God, your mom can through the critical period. We hope that she conscious quickly." while rubbing my back, my father get up to speak to me.
I turn my body. I hug two men earlier. "Thank you everyone. I'm happy with this family. Let me repay it all".

3 comments:

Give comment in order to improve this blog

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...